Sunday, May 31, 2015

Day 4: A moment of relaxation.

I went to brunch with Jason this morning. He is one of the Malaysian students studying here in Hong Kong. It was a nice change in pace. He and I ate at Ebeneezer's Kebab and Pizzeria in the Gold Coast part of Hong Kong. We ended up having to wait an hour and a half before the restaurant opened for lunch. The food was decent but at least it was halal! Portion sizes are about half the size of what they are in America. He showed me the Gold Coast area. It was very fancy and apparently where the rich people live. Hong Kong has a very high cost of living. I was left in awe at the site of the sea and Gold Coast beach. I love how accessible the beaches are. Dipping my feet in the ocean water with sand between my toes was a refreshing feeling in the heat. There was this sense of peace and relaxation at Gold Coast. Jason and I stood outside by the rocks and sea just looking out into the view. I could not believe how beautiful it is. It has been 4 days and I am still shocked to see mountains everywhere. I don't know if and when I will be able to become immune to the nature surrounding me.

Jason and I finished our trip by getting some fruits from the street markets. I am having a hard time adjusting to the smell of raw meat and sea food on the streets. The prices are very reasonable. I got about 2.5 pounds of lychee fruit and grapes. People in Hong Kong do things very fast. Time is very valuable to them. I asked Jason if there is any day of the week the shops close early. For Americans, it is Sunday. Jason says every day is money day; therefore, no, the shops remain open. This concept is very similar to the Indian culture. I really enjoyed talking to Jason about the similarities and differences between American culture, Indian culture, and Chinese culture.

I spent most of the day just blogging and relaxing. I am not sure what the rest of this night will bring. I am ready and excited for my summer class to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment